Friday, April 3, 2009

Spinach Pesto & Tofu Curry

Hello Everyone,

I have finally moved into my new apartment and have been cooking and baking up a storm. It seems like every time I look, I'm cooking something new.

I'm still going on strong with my vegetarian diet and find it easier than ever now.

The last two things I made in my kitchen were spinach pesto and red tofu curry. I just ate the curry and put the pesto in the refridgerator for later on in the week.

Spinach Pesto:

1/2 Bag baby spinach
1/2 Cup parmesan cheese
1/3 Cup olive oil
1/4 Cup toasted breadcrumbs
2 Cloves garlic

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and add salt and pepper to taste.



Tofu Curry: 

1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. paprika
4 Tbsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. cumin
1 can vegetable stock
1 can tomatoes
Tofu
1/2 cup plain yogurt
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter


Making curry takes a little work but it's so worth it!

1. Saute the onions with the olive oil and butter until the onions are brown (about 10 minutes)
2. Add the garlic when the onions are almost completely brown and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Take the onion/garlic mixture and combine it in a food processor.
4. Add the mixture back into the pan and add cinnamon, paprika, cumin, ginger, tumeric, curry powder and sugar. Mix until it becomes a paste.
5. Cook the paste through and add the vegetable stock and tomatos.
6. Mix well.
7. Simmer for around 20 minutes.
8. Add tofu, cayenne pepper and yogurt to pot.
9. Simmer for as long as 3 hours or as short as 30 more minutes.


Serve over rice!



Enjoy!

No comments: