Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Portion Your Meat!

Let's be honest, meat is expensive. If you're like me and my boyfriend, you probably want to eat meat/chicken 4 out of 5 nights a week. You might be thinking thats a lot of money but rest assured, it's not as much as you think. 

I usually buy 2 lbs of ground beef every month. When i get home from the store I immediately take the beef out of the container and start portioning it. Let's say you buy 2 lbs, if you cut the block in half and then in half again, you'll have four  1/2 lb "meat bullets" that you can use for different meals. Sometimes if the meat is a little more expensive than usual, I will take some meat from each bullet to make an additional one so instead of 4 meals, I now have 5. Once the bullets are portioned, cover them with plastic wrap and store them together. 

You can do the same thing with sausage, chicken, steak tips....

Portioning not only makes meal preparation and planning easier but it also allows you to keep track of your meals and what you have left for the week/month.


No comments: